We had a little get together this weekend and enjoyed this salad. It is so delicious I just had to share it with you all. Thanks Terry for coming and making a wonderful dinner for us!
We are having a little birthday party for Sophi this Thursday and I am going to make a big batch of it. Sophi loved the salad and I hope you will too.
Prep Time: 20 minutes Marinate Time: 1 hour Yields: 4 servings
- 1 large bunch of kale, washed (about 7 cups loosely packed)
- 1 Golden Delicious apple, cut into matchstick slices
- 3 ounces Parmesan cheese, thinly sliced with carrot peeler
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon molasses (not blackstrap)
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground mustard
- 1 small shallot, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable stock (I didn’t use this ingredient and it turned out fine)
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- pinch of allspice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
1. Using a sharp knife, cut away think center stems of kale leaves and discard stems. Stack several leaves, tightly roll them into a cigar shape and slice them into thin ribbons. Repeat until all leaves are thinly sliced.
2. In a small bowl, combine molasses, vinegar, mustard, shallots, oil and stock, and season with salt and pepper. Toss dressing with kale, apple and cheese, and let sit at room temperature for one hour.
3. Heat butter in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Stir in cinnamon, allspice, pepper, sugar and pecans. Toast pecans for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring until the sugar has melted and the pecans are lightly toasted. Spread on wax paper to cool. Toss pecans with salad and serve.